Monday, April 25, 2011

The One Hundred Sixteenth, Apr. 25, 2011

why do we let the warmth fade
taken from us while we watch
seemingly unable to resist it
even though it is ours to have?

too often I have felt cooling
knowing it was not my own
another draining my happiness
as if to feed their own gloom

I know not how to stop this
but still I try to just the same
knowing it is my duty to stand
and hold on to what I have

happiness is far too precious
to let slip freely from my day
so I will smile and grab hold
and not let any take it from me

1 comment:

  1. This is such a strong, psychological poem. Happiness is a controversial concept. Your focus, however, on warmth and cooling is more interesting. It reminds me of perseverance and focusing and remembering everything, not just "this moment". It reminds me of perspective-taking. It's about making choices.

    ReplyDelete