Saturday, May 28, 2011

The One Hundred Forty Ninth, May 28, 2011

sleep, how cruel you are!
either too nice to end
or too hard to find
either way you torment

as for a lover long lost
I cry out for your embrace
desperate to hold you
as the day draws closed

elusive, temperamental
even evasive at times
yet I seek you daily
to ease my weariness

when at last I find you
you can be so gentle
soft and sweet comfort
bringing great happiness

you can be so cruel
with haunting visions
dancing in my mind
torturing for my sins

in the end casting me away
discarding me as spent
into the harsh coldness
of reality once more

I am addicted to you
though you spurn me so
leaving me confused
dazed, seeking clarity

I miss you too often
once you have left me
wishing only your return
but I must wait for you

I am helplessly yours
a toy for your whims
I feel shamed by my need
yet I will always return

sleep, how cruel you are!

2 comments:

  1. The intimacy with the subject is palpable. Each piece of this poem is a poem unto itself. I want to reorganize it somehow (not sure how) to make it more cohesive. But, in the end, it's an extremely adept and brilliant piece of poetry (or will be? *smiles*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Connie. Comments like this are fuel to the motor that is driving me to continue.

    ReplyDelete