Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Three Hundred Fifty Eighth, December 24, 2011

this is that wonderful
time of the year
when everyone's filled
with love and good cheer

smiles and greetings
to all that you see
generous sharing of joy
as the season should be

that parking spots mine
get out of my way
I still need to buy more
before Christmas day

I don't have the time now
to be decking the halls
must fight the crowds
in the shopping malls

I must do it bigger
buy presents galore
to make this grander
then ever before

and now I am broke
let the wrapping begin
a walking stress bomb
till the Valium sets in

at last Christmas morning
what did I get?
more stupid clothes
and colognes I will bet

santa seems to get
cheaper each year
don't tell me its the cost
of feeding reindeer

tear off the wrappings
just dropped on the floor
will pick them up later
its too much of a chore

gifts finally opened
to the table we go
over filling ourselves
making us slow

keep nibbling all day
in a continuous graze
wanting still more
as eyes slowly glaze

yes that is the meaning
of Christmas it seems
capitalism's triumph
in sugarplum dreams

is the irony lost
or do others see
the day has become
what its most not to be

celebrate the Savior's birth
with the seven deadly sins
 time to look inside
and see which side wins

2 comments:

  1. It takes tremendous effort to say what we all know, but in a way that is fresh and current. I'm pleased to see the effort you make not only for yourself, but for us all in this poem.

    It takes even more effort still to respond in a way that is not defensive, that changes one's habits, and allows us to face those around us with a sense of "self" intact.

    My response is much like every other situation, one day at a time, setting the tone and being comfortable within one's own skin about such matters.

    The potential title?..."Capitalism's Triumph in Sugarplum Dreams"

    ReplyDelete