Monday, August 22, 2011

The Two Hundred Thirty Fourth, August 22, 2011

in the depths of my mind
there lies a cavern dark
where angels will not tread
and great mysteries reside

thoughts forlornly echo
lost from the daily world
alas what secrets mourn
ghosts wailing in despair

I know it is in this place
the answers to life hide
the meaning of existence
and where is Jimmy Hoffa

I cannot take it seriously
though others surely will
for all thoughts that entered in
may find the way out as well

until that time I must wait
and am too tired to worry
so let them be is my way
after all, I like dark caves too

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing more interesting to write about than thoughts related to darkness. We fear expressing them because others worry for us, and we worry for ourselves, at times. In truth....they are us....and we know them not as well as the parts of us we relish expressing, that is, the light.

    I laud you for taking that leap today in fits and starts. There are some precious lines like those in the second stanza. Then humor sets in to allay the fears of others. The last two lines are my favorites of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm dark thoughts are scary. I too would not want to think of them.

    ReplyDelete