Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Two Hundred Forty Seventh, September 4, 2011

Friendship


what does it mean
to be called friend
what do you need
to call another yours

many answers exist
in emails status updates
greeting cards poems
each a generic riposte

we each need to find
deep within ourselves
the answers fitting us
and hold true to them

if you call me friend
then you should know
what that means to me
that you will understand

it means I will care
will want to help you
will try to fix things
will need you to smile

that I will feel you
your pains and joys
the tears and smiles
frustrations and successes

it means spending wishes
for your perfect health
your total happiness
your peace of mind

It means understanding
that we are not the same
and embracing you still
cherishing our diversity

as for me to call friend
carries a simple request
to be honest and fair
and accept me as I am

there are levels to this
some dearer than others
and a few even more so
they are deep in my heart

cherished and protected
a special piece of my life
for them the rules change
as love is scarcely enough

they are parts of my life
entwined with my own
extensions of my heart
other pieces of my soul

I thank you for coming
and joining my madness
for accepting who I am
with no judgements given

thank you for sharing
all the good you see
but also sharing the bad
and not locking it away

through that sharing
the bond grows too strong
for any force to sever
and life grows by addition

my life would be duller
some of the luster gone
if I had not met you
or been to shy to wave

no matter what comes
today, tomorrow, next year
I will never again be alone
for you came into my life

3 comments:

  1. Much thought has been put into this poem and I appreciate what has been written. I particularly like the stanza that says "for accepting who I am with no judgements given" That is what a true friend does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and....will all of that be accepted by you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful poem...I absolutely love it!!!

    ReplyDelete