Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Two Hundred Sixty Eighth, September 25, 2011

oh how I hate allergies
clogging the passages
stopping up the nose
defeating sense of smell

now the medication comes
smell the pretty flowers
waiting for the clearing
only those silly flowers

walking past bakeries
knowing what is gone
no fresh bread for me
only those silly flowers

fresh coffee in the cup
watching the steam rise
not a trace do I get
only those silly flowers

eventually it works
the world opens up
aromas now assail me
standing beside a dumpster

just the way my luck goes some days

4 comments:

  1. Too funny and we have all had days like those...thanks for making me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great smile i got from this.....better luck to you my darkness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throughout the poem, verb tenses play a significant role. You are both a narrator in this poem and writing a first person account of your experience, as if writing AS it happens. It brings the reader with you, experiencing it with you, connecting them to you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allergies are a curse aren't they? Can't help but smile at the last stanza.

    ReplyDelete