Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Eighty Second, Mar. 22, 2011

The Next Step

With new discoveries
come new challenges
new paths unfolding
waiting to be followed

I stand in deep darkness
seeing nothing ahead
but feel many directions
lie opened before me

there is no certainty
of even where I stand
much less where to step
which road to follow

voices whisper to me
from beyond the dark
calling me to them
saying follow, follow

my foot lifts slightly
hovering over nothing
waiting for answers
that no one can give

the voices still call
but I cannot comply
they are not my voice
it is not their choice

how then do I decide
and where wil I step
what if I choose wrong
or must I choose again

a new apprehension
this darkness never fades
and always I will stand
foot poised over nothing

one more to set aside
another fear to pass
to overcome its hold
I simply have to step

with breath held
with eyes closed
with heart pounding
I step......

1 comment:

  1. Even if the step is into an inevitable cow pie, it informs. It reminds you that you are alive. Nice series of poems, by the way...provocative.

    ReplyDelete