Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Two Hundred Fifth, July 23, 2011

there are times in life
for nearly each of us
when nothing fits
and sense is cast off

ashes fill the soul
in depressions' grasp
emptiness so vast
it consumes all else


despair has a firm grip
cold claws of doubt 
dig deep into the spirit
seeking total control  

fears assail in the cold
draining our hopes
stealing confidence
draining the goodness


is the path still here
even in the void
that leads the steps
back into the light

can we find it alone
will we need a guide
a hand to lead us
can we trust them

this journey has turns
twists and valleys
mountains and seas
each a new obstacle

I wish I knew how
to pass through each
and share the wisdom
with all that follow

but once more the time
to turn forward a new
step into the next
and learn from the past

hold on to the memory
learn the lessons of each
trial and tribulation
continuing on to the light

I need to remember
remaining dedicated yet
to this road I am taking
to discover my true self

taking the next step slowly
but still I am moving
one step at a time
the journey continues ...

3 comments:

  1. Today I am totally in synch with this poem.... hoping that tomorrow gives me some insight that the path I tread is not in vain

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem feels dark to me. Fortunately at the end of it there is hope and fortitude. We must never fail to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, the darkest parts of our lives leads to some amazing poetry. Lines like, "ashes fill the soul"; "cold claws of doubt"; "fears...draining our hopes, ...draining our confidence". Do not worry about "sharing the wisdom...". When you have it, others will know and ask for it. You will share your story, your poem, your heart. They will understand or they will not. It will be alright.

    ReplyDelete