Friday, August 5, 2011

The Two Hundred Eighteenth, August 5, 2011

the soft breeze drifts
stirring the pressing heat 
playfully teasing drafts
lifting devils of dust

bare dirt soaks the sun
heating like a skillet
feet roasting slowly
as shoes become ovens

trickling chill taunting
as sweat evades fabric
finding its way down
making the spine itch

sun blinds the eyes
turned to the heavens
seeking small orbs
finding a large one

the smell of leather
of fresh mown grass
pop corn and hot dogs
summer in the nose

brilliant green grass
meeting pale blue heavens
dark green wall divides
separating earth and sky

anticipation mounts 
pulse begins to quicken
lower the mask and crouch
here comes the call

PLAY BALL!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, I cheated. I read the last line first. Then, I read it very slowly, very carefully, making sure I recognized each nuance. Stanza 6 with the dark green wall threw me. After that i read it a second time, more relaxed, as if I were sensing it with my eyes closed - and I could almost smell it. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete