Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Two Hundred Thirteenth, July 31, 2011

small streak of midnight
streaking through the noon
glimpses of liquid darkness
then stillness once again

slowly falls the stillness
forgotten the shadow fear
danger passed by this time
peace is slowly restored

...........

faster than thought it comes
absence of light descends
terror like obsidian lightning
striking with cold malice

fight over before it begins
the heart of darkness pauses
gloating in his triumph
Kitten wins again!

4 comments:

  1. Your poems are getting more beautiful as I read them. I don't know what they are about when I begin. They end up being about something simple, so it would seem. Of course, I do not accept that. I find in it what I wish. No one can resist thinking about the darkness in their lives, just as no one can resist being caught up with pleasure by the playfulness of a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I do not really understand this poem but it is not surprising since I am a little dense sometimes. The poem started with a feeling of danger and then the last verse is about a cat winning a fight. So am I supposed to be in the shoes of the cat feeling the fear before the fight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The twist at the end, Clarissa is to explain the scene is being viewed from the perspective of the kitten's toy as he plays this game. He is the mighty feared hunter, stalking his toy. The poem is my interpretation of how the cat sees the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and as all those small deaths on my doorstep remind me, those soft-pawed hunters' nature sleeps and dreams under their silken coats and vibrating whiskers, always cruel, and always with a twinkle in their clear and sparkling eyes

    fay

    ReplyDelete