Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Two Hundred Twentieth, August 7, 2011

I hear talk of global
global economy
global society
wonderful globalization

I wonder whose vision
who decides
who chooses
what if I disagree

talk of these freedoms
claimed for everyone
the right to choose
what if I choose no

why can't I be different
and cherish that
reveling in the me
rather than being you

the ego of the mind
if I wish it to be
then everyone will
defying every logic

nearly 7 billion souls
each with that right
the beauty of chaos
we are not the Borg

2 comments:

  1. In a family, we begin as a child reveling in the me. We are asked to "take turns" with siblings and ""Shhhh" when they are on the phone. We know the benefits of extended families in a busy life and the gifts a community can offer one another. Despite all this, we know that everyone doesn't "fit in" and so we are obliged to be flexible for their sake or force them to "change or die"

    In this poem, I think...you show that this can be taken to an extreme. There is no mechanism already built in to globalization for "a lone voice". We are being told to "agree or die".

    It's a complicated topic. Taking it on is very wild and brave and, dare I say, "chaotic". Writing this poem or a blog is the beginning of voicing. Creating an article in a newspaper (paper or electronic) is another, running for office is another, but I don't recommend that (tooooo chaotic).

    Who is writing, "We are not the Borg"???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choice is something we all want but do we really have a choice in everything? Definitely no!! We cannot choose our parents, siblings and even whether we want to work or not. Chaos is not a good idea either but regardless whether we can choose or not it does not matter. What matters is when we can we must choose wisely and that our conscience is always clear.

    ReplyDelete