Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Two Hundred Sixty Third, September 20, 2011

how do you pay forward
all the things done for you
those kindnesses shown
mercies that came your way

do you stand out front
shouting loudly for all
COME AND SEE ME
seeking personal praises

do you play it bashful
hiding behind another
not wishing to be seen
wanting only to be helpful

are you loud against it
calling such things foolish
sneaking around to help
making sure no one sees

there are some who say
it needs done just right
or it is for selfish ends
as though there are rules

does the receiver care
what motivates kindness
does it make the debt less
less to pay ahead themselves

I do not think this is true
the debt remains the same
for every kindness garnered
at least one must be given

the gift is never lessened
by the actions of the one
the karma is hie reward
as less will come his way

if you do not wish to give
then do not accept from others
and soon you can be alone
living in your own world

I choose to pay forward... how about you

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it should be paid forward. Every kindness shown to me is really appreciated and I hope that I can help others in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a movie once about "paying forward". I also see the commercials where someone witnesses a kindness and then pays it forward, while his/her observer does the same. These have all made me weep like the "emo girl" I am (Yes, I know, I'm using the term incorrectly.) As I read this poem I also think about those who give and give and find it extremely difficult to accept.

    Stanza six confuses me...
    the gift is never lessened
    by the actions of the one
    the karma is hie reward
    as less will come his way

    This is one of my favorite topics

    ReplyDelete