Monday, October 3, 2011

The Two hundred Seventy Sixth, October 3, 2011

the young one asked the old

how do you ever know
when you find the one
not just any someone
but that one and only

is it in the shivers
that race along the spine
every time you hear
the mention of their name

is it the silly smile you have
every time you see them
that slight lip twitch quirk
lopsided like a drunks

is it in the humming
that fills your ears
like music no one can hear
the song that is their name

does your stomach spin
butterflies dancing happily
impossible to sleep at night
no desire to eat either

the old one answered calmly

it is none of those things
and yet it is so much more
it is something that you feel
every day of your life

you only ever know it
when your time is over
and you realize finally
two have always been one

you know they are the one
when no one else matters
when you see their face
when you look in the mirror

you know they are the one
when you itch they scratch
when you finish for each other
because you are one soul

you know they are the one
when life finally calls due
until them you only hope
that you are the one for them

3 comments:

  1. A very sweet poem. Yes I do like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I say this too much, but when topics become huge,I think the poems are simply too short. There are so many this year where the topic, how you present it, and the thoughts and feelings are simply "not enough" for me. I feel like you have touched the topic with a feather and so much more needs to be said. Having said that, I also know that there are many where I think to myself, "What can i comment? NOTHING can be added to what was just said". This topic is one where I want more said.

    My other comment is this: I only hope that's not true, that "the one" can be appreciated now, today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie, the other person is appreciated every day. They are the rest of you, completing you, fulfilling you, but the point I am trying to express is that you never KNOW they are the one.. you just do all you can to be the one the other needs and deserves. I was trying to show that it is a growth toward the ultimate knowing and the ONLY one. The emphasis being placed on never knowing for certain and always unselfishly trying to be THEIR one, because their happiness is what matters most in your life.

    ReplyDelete