Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Three Hundred Twenty Fourth, November 20, 2011

I open my eyes and read
there are words before me
clearly I can see them there
as I am certain you can too

so how is it possible then
that you read something
that I cannot see written
no matter how I turn the page

is it bias or blindness I see
which makes you claim
the facts clearly called out
are not even on your pages

you call another names
declare that they hate you
because they dare to say
everyone can have an opinion

your eyes are closed tight
by your own choosing
so shut your mouth as well
before your ignorance spreads

1 comment:

  1. My first thought was that you were going to reflect on how others see what you didn't mean to say in your poems. It took a few times of re-reading to understand your poem to be something different. As you can see, it takes awhile, sometimes, to fully understand.

    Most conversations are fleeting but the written word is not. Each, however, has an element of mis-communication. "There are none so blind as those that will not see" (1546, John Heywood)

    As for the last stanza, here is a parallel I found:

    The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.

    ALBERT CAMUS, The Plague

    For some reason, your poem today made me feel as if the words were time honored...never tiring to hear them.

    ReplyDelete