Monday, June 20, 2011

The One Hundred Seventy Second, June 20, 2011

You have what's yours
and I have whats mine
they say to each his own
and that suits me fine

and when it comes time
for each of us to share
I will gladly give of mine
for I don't really care

its only things after all
not really all that much
trinkets and baubles
pretty things and such

but others cannot see
they grasp on so tight
unwilling to let any go
and that just isn't right

it isn't for a purpose
to satisfy some need
perhaps not even selfish
blamed upon sheer greed

sometimes it is more
a case of inner fear
if I let go of it now
will it ever reappear?

perhaps it won't return
would that be so bad
you are at least alive
though feeling quite sad

so if it comes tomorrow
that its your time to give
remember this message
and how we should live

give what you have
to another in need
if it comes your turn
never ask for with greed

only what is needed
is all we should seek
not for too much
as to make others weak

there is enough for all
if we can just share
let's start with the basics
clean water and air

2 comments:

  1. I'd like each of us to say that to each other every day...EVERY day, please. Even if others disagree. That way we can all understand each other by talking about it. Thank you for listening. (smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this poem.

    ReplyDelete